Friday, December 11, 2015

A Pause in the Sewing...for Christmas

Dear Readers,
         December has come, dark, rainy, wet, miserable December. A month better designated for hibernation than celebration. Yet, in someone's ancient wisdom, the second most important holiday in all of Christendom is celebrated during the darkest, wettest, most miserable time of the year. I'm not a fan....that is to say I'm not a fan of Christmas in December.

      I often wonder if I would have had a better attitude toward this holiday had I been born Australian. In some ways, summer BBQ's, beach parties and fireworks seem more in keeping with a joyous birthday occasion, rather than rain.... and ice...and snow.

         But never fear, I was lucky enough to have been born just post Geisel Seuss and my childhood was filled with such characters and Horton, Yertel, and the Lorax, but most beloved of all was the Grinch, a man after my own heart. Ultimately, the Grinch does come to understand the true meaning of the Christmas, but in my mind he also allows me to be a true wet blanket about the entire period leading up to the holiday. We can't even get beyond clearing out the Halloween when the retailers are pumping "Silent Night" by Alvin and the Chipmunks through out the stores inviting us to up our consumer debt. Frankly, I vacillate between morose depression and  grenade lobbing rage during the time leading up to this holiday. I think that we really should be quietly tucked in our beds for a long winter's nap only to emerge about Groundhog's day for a two week ski and spa experience; then, and only then, should life begin anew. But, this is my fantasy; reality is always something else.
       This year, the winter blues aren't nearly as great, perhaps it's due to an unusually dry and sunny winter, in which case, thank the Lord for global warming. (Sarcasm, please people!) I have rested myself from my midwinter stupor and channeled my inner kindergartner and Geisel Seuss into decorating the house.


I readily admit that I stole this idea from the internet. I adapted it to our home, where there are no outside electric plugs anywhere and the gutters are hanging on by chewing gum and wire and prayers. I took a single strand of LED white lights and strung them up with a couple of twist ties. The Grinch was made from poster paint and a Sharpie marker on poster board.


A day or two later I added some paper snowflakes cut from leftover scraps of pattern tracing paper from my sewing room. The two red stars were cut from a single piece of scrap booking paper and the blue ornament is one of those long forgotten things we all have tucked away for sentimental purposes. I thought the season's decorations were complete.....but then Mr. Grinch started working on my teeny, tiny pre-Christmas heart....Oh, you're a mean one, Mr. Grinch!

No comments:

Post a Comment