Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Wow!

Time flies and there went the summer and the fall. Our family has undergone some changes and they required time and adjustment. My blogging falls to the last item on my list when this happens. It doesn't mean that sewing stops, just that the documentation of the sewing stops.

Here's a bit of catching up. I've made two things this summer. The first is a Cape Breton top made in traditional blue and white French terry.




Second, I tried a new pattern, a tunic shirt in a cotton print. The pattern is Kwik Sew K3799. The fabric was labeled Gutterman "ring-a-roses".

I had three problems with the pattern, but still, I had good results.

I found the pattern length for the front and back of the shirt is not drafted properly. The front and back are different lengths and so I needed to pay attention and cut both pieces evenly.

Also, the sleeve placket should not be cut out as indicated on the sleeve pattern piece.  I followed my tried and true method of sleeve plackets instead and got a better result. My tried and true method can be found on the web also.  Angela Kane has a very good variation of the technique I used and she has a free pattern for the sleeve placket too.

Finally, the cuff and collar assembly as stated on the pattern sheet was very awkward.  I used a more familiar "standard" method of cuffs and collar for faster and better results.

I have to say that I love this pattern and the long tunic shirt is perfect for working about the house in just leggings and a top. The shirt is comfortable, roomy and covers the bum. This pattern is going on the use it again list for me.




 Finally, I did some non-selfish knitting. These are some new bed socks for my husband.




So onwards and upwards, let's hope some more writing gets done on this blog. I have tidied up the sewing room again. I now have an empty work table right in front of the window which gives good daylight for close work. My desk also now has a space for a laptop computer and all the extras that go with that item.




The other thing I did was separate the project stash from the sewing and knitting tools.  It's a pile, a pile of guilt, a big, no, A HUGE pile of guilt, but there it is on the floor. Now, I have to look at it and choose something to finish.



No comments:

Post a Comment