Saturday, March 8, 2014

Finishing those Dinner Napkins

     After going to the store and getting some new white thread for the over-lock machine, I sat down to finish up this project. I set up the over-lock machine for a 3-thread rolled hem and I hemmed the napkins one after another; trimming off a scant 1/4 inch. Here's a close up of the process.



        I hemmed the napkins in "clothes-line" fashion rather than turning each corner. That is, I sergerd one straight edge followed by the straight edge of another napkin. When one edge on all the napkins was completed, I cut the them apart and hemmed the second edge. After all four edges were hemmed, I trimmed the hanging threads from all four corners and applied a small dot of Fray Check to each corner.


      Finally, I starched and ironed the napkins. I got more than twenty new family dinner napkins from those bedsheets. When the napkins get too worn or stained, I toss them into the clean rag bucket for a couple of more scrubs before they are finally discarded. I'm afraid that our linens live very long lives being used reused in our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment