Friday, August 12, 2016

Back on the blog again.

This summer has been a bit of a bust in terms of sewing. I have not done much other than mending countless items of household linens. It is a desperate attempt to keep the household going without buying European sized linen at sky high prices and then having to remake the items to fit our American beds. That re-cutting process seems truly wasteful and as we are hoping to return home soon, I keep mending.

Along with the mending, my machines have slowly begun to show their need for a professional tuneup. I have keep them going for nearly eight years by a meticulous routine of cleaning, oiling, and small adjustments as well as the attitude of "if I can hand sew it, don't use the machine!" Finally, they all ground to a halt and they had to go to the machine doctor.

Like much that surprises me here on the continent, there is good and bad. Traffic is terrible. Health care is fabulous! Customer service in stores stinks but you can order a repair part for just about anything and it comes to your door! I was dubious  about contacting a sewing machine technician as my machines were all 110V power and my Bernina 930 is worth more "dead" than alive for its spare parts alone.

But! Belgium has its charm and one of them is a sewing machine technician that makes house calls! Yep! House calls! Yes, it did cost me a little extra, but he serviced all three machines in my home connected to my power transformers in about an hour and a half one early evening after his store closed. The house call was arranged within a week after contacting him by email through his business address.  Yowza! I'm back in business. I might even be up for a fabric acquisition road trip or maybe some more guilt about the growing stash.

No comments:

Post a Comment