Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Back to 1952 - Vogue 7375

Remember this skirt. It's from VoNBBS and my interpretation of pattern Vogue 7375, the full skirt. When I made this I had some serious reservations about the dirndl skirt silhoutte and my figure type. Although, the skirt was a successful sewing project, I personally believe that this style has limited appeal for me because of the amount of fullness in the gathers at the waist. It's successful only because of the lightweight gingham fabric. I really like full skirts but I wanted to be able to use a larger variety of fabrics, for example a poplin or mid-weight cotton.

So I put my thinking cap on and came up with one of my first "drafted from my head and personal sketch" garment. I want a full hemline and a plentiful skirt length. I needed to eliminate fullness at the waist and lengthen my torso length. Finally, the garment had to be easy enough so that a sewer, who like me relied for years on commercial patterns, would be confident enough to give it the old college try.

The answer was easier than I anticipated and here's preview of the some of the features of the finished garment.



Simple over-locked seam finishes on the crisp 100% cotton fabric.

A side seam zipper that goes all the way through the waistband thus eliminating the bulky lap and button.

 A narrow twin-needle machine stitched hem.

Fabric self faced waistband 


Next time...the finished garment!

No comments:

Post a Comment