Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Vogue 2758 - The Finish

 The sleeves, cuffs and closures went  smoothly for this project and here's the finished blouse on my dress form along with the previous project, the corduroy skirt.

Time for some self evaluation on these two items.

Garment Finish: The corduroy was definitely easier to work with than the blouse fabric and it gave a nicer finished garment. Grade: Skirt: A  and Blouse: B+

Fit: Skirt waist is a little tight. This is surprising as the denim skirt was just fine and I cut the same size. (No! The scales haven't changed in the upwards direction.) I think the denim just had more give and I must have stretched the waist seam when sewing it. The blouse fits very well, especially through the bust. I'm very pleased with the drafting of this pattern. Grade: Skirt: B and Blouse: A

Choice of Materials: I find the corduroy, even though it's fine wale, is a casual fabric. I don't think it goes particularly well with the more dressier blouse fabric. Perhaps, the mistake made is that the blouse needs and nice wool tweed or wool flannel pencil skirt and the corduroy needs a Shetland wool knit sweater or casual patterned tee-shirt. The choice of materials is fine if you consider each piece individually, but not correct if they are to be worn as an outfit.  Grade: Skirt: B and Blouse: B-

Style and Wearability:  I addressed this a bit in the previous paragraph. I like both these pieces, just not together. I need to think about how each of these will fit into my fall/winter wardrobe. This will need to wait until I put the summer things away. I think the skirt will blend in just fine, but the blouse may need some help. It will need at least a neutral pencil skirt to go with it specifically. Perhaps, I will get lucky and have forgotten something that I already own that will be perfectly suited for it. In the meantime, I'll put a note on my future project list. I graded the skirt above the blouse because I more than likely have some else to wear with the skirt, the blouse on the other hand may need another sewing project to get the most wear out of it. Grade: Skirt: B and Blouse: C



No comments:

Post a Comment