Friday, October 17, 2014

Simplicity 1590 - Forties Blouse


Well, it's finished. I'm not sure I like it. I think the choice of fabric is all wrong.

The cotton is just too transparent. I'm also wearing it in October; this is summer blouse that needs a light colored cotton skirt underneath it.

The garment finish is good. I didn't spend a great deal of time on special seam finishes with this garment. The quality of the fabric just didn't warrant the effort. This project is much more about style and pattern testing than french seams and organza interlining. Garment Finish: B-

Fit: The fit is good. The back and waist are smooth and there is no gaping in the front. The full bust adjustment is a success. Fit: A

Choice of Materials: C- It's not a complete failure, but nearly so. The cotton is shear but very inexpensive. It won't wear well in the end and therefore didn't require the extra time and expense of lining the blouse. Given that, I still wouldn't want to spend a great deal time or money for a first trial of a new pattern. I think this garment would look better in a silk, charmeuse, or nice dress weight cotton. I will be worth trying it again before deciding if the pattern is a keeper.

Style and Wearability: B  The blouse is very much a success in someways and a dismal failure in others. As this project is a precursor to the completely self-drafted copy of the VoNBBS's portrait neckline blouse, it is weighted more for a success. The neckline is attractive and flattering. The cap sleeves give just that little bit of cover for the shoulders. Both these features are important for VoNBBS's Vogue 7630.  I don't care for the peplum. It emphasizes a part of my body I wish to ignore and I cannot tuck this blouse into a skirt or pant. This limits it's wearablity.

Project Overall: B-

Now, I'm looking forward to my first redraft of an old pattern from VoNBBS, Vogue 7630, the portrait neckline blouse. I think I can do this! Think positively! I can do this.....yes, maybe, welll...let's see.

"Patternmaking for Fashion Design"  by Helen Joseph Armstrong here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment