Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Vogue 7436 - 1952 Final Evaluation

The Slim Skirt from VoNBSS is finished. It's a straight skirt. This silhouette has become a wardrobe staple over the years. There are hundreds of pattern choices for the home sewer. There are shorter ones and tighter ones. There are patterns that are pegged at the bottom rather than straight. Pick one that suits you and sew!

For this project, I got a small taste of draping instead of pattern cutting and I found this rather freeing from the "rules and regulations"of the pattern direction sheet. I also found that I had to keep my wits about me and not finish some parts of the garment before others. There must be an order to the process.

The garment finish is rather good on this garment. I'm pleased. It is fully lined. The zipper in hand picked and the hem is well padded and invisible from the outside of the garment. All seams are finished. I'm not pleased with the waistband interfacing. Let's just say I don't have many choices here and it shows. Overall: A-

The waistband of this skirt is a little tight. I learned something about the interaction of ease and turn of the cloth with this project. Also, don't sew while the plumber is in the house! You will not try things on as needed and adjust when needed. The moral of the story is clean when there are people working on the house and sew when everyone is gone. Fit: B

Choice of Materials: A+    Actually, this couldn't have been better. The houndstooth is a classic weave. The black and white is timeless. The wool was forgiving and easy to work with. I couldn't be happier with the materials.

Style and Wearabilitiy: A-  The tight waistband limits the wearability a bit...but three pounds and that will go away. The style is as wearable today as it was in 1952. This should be wardrobe corner post for many years to come.

Overall: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment