Thursday, October 30, 2014

Vogue 7630-1952 - The Portrait Neckline Blouse - Finished




Pattern trial number two gave me this. Four pieces, that except for the full bust, looked pretty similar to the illustrations in VoNBBS. I specifically choose to create "net patterns", that is, patterns without seam allowances. I found this gives me an easier time doing a couple of things, fitting on my dress form and "walking" the seams. 

Then, I got busy with the project and didn't pick up my camera until nearly the end....hemming the sleeve.

Here's the finished blouse with the slim skirt and my farmer's tan.

Here it is again worn as an over-blouse with the gingham skirt. The black color and poor lighting of late autumn in northern Europe sucks all the detail out of the photo.

Garment Finish: Good to excellent overall. This is a linen blouse, so I chose to over lock the seam edges to prevent raveling. The zipper is a lapped application in the side seam.  A-

Fit: Actually, I'm surprised. My first attempt at pattern drafting isn't bad. The fit is good, maybe a little large, but I've certainly had far worse at the hands of other pattern makers. For a first project: A-

Choice of Materials: It's linen. It wrinkles! It's clearly a summer blouse. I would choose cotton next time for ease of washing, or silk for something dressy. B+

Style and Wearability: This 1952 style still works today. I could make this out of a number of different fabric or colors. As you can see I have paired it with the more formal slim skirt and the casual gingham skirt and I've got two distinct looks. I could wear this with jeans and a blazer also.  A+

Overall: A-
Not bad for jumping in at the deep end of pattern drafting.




No comments:

Post a Comment